- title in English
- Network of autonomous underwater sensors for the measurement of biological indicators
- title in es
- Redes de Sensores submarinos autónomos para la medida de indicadores biológicos
- Description in English
- "ResBIO is a project that proposes new methodologies for sampling the composition of communities and relative abundance of species in relation to rhythmic activity and their environmental control, through the development of new fixed and mobile multiparametric technologies. The use of wired observatories located at the bottom of the sea and equipped with video cameras will make it possible to study in real time, with great temporal resolution and for long periods of time, the rhythms of behavior, and consequently their effects on the dynamics of a community. Fluctuations in the count of individuals through video-images can be used as an indicator of the rhythms of a population, and consequently relate them to the conditions of the habitat that surrounds them, in terms of cause-effect principles, observing at the same time different oceanographic, chemical and geological parameters. To increase spatial coverage and allow strategic and adaptive changes in monitoring, pelagic mobile platforms (Autonomous Underwater Vehicles AUVs) and benthic platforms will be used as underwater robots (crawlers), which will work in cooperation both spatially (in nearby areas) and temporally (through coordinated communication).
ResBIO aims to: ""Design and implement a comprehensive environment for monitoring marine biological indicators through wired observatories and autonomous underwater mobile vehicles, achieving a strengthening of the spatial factor together with the high temporal frequency of data acquisition"".
The general objective of this project has an impact on three large areas:
1. Biological: In the environment of marine ecology when carrying out a systematic monitoring of a group of species from the Mediterranean coast.
2. Technological: By expanding the OBSEA node to a network structure of submarine nodes with an Underwater Acoustic Sensor Networks (UASN) architecture. Infrastructure (Vehicles, wired observatory and surface buoys), underwater acoustics (acoustic labels and modems) and computational aspects (Artificial Video Intelligence, Automate multivariate data treatment procedures).
3. Social projection: By developing science procedures for citizens that allow increasing the capacity of technological platforms in the automated processing of large quantities of images."
- This work is licensed under http://vocab.nerc.ac.uk/collection/L08/current/MO meaning it is under moratorium until 2024-11-15
- Del Rio, Joaquin; Masmitjà Rusiñol, Ivan; Aguzzi, Jacopo; Nogueras Cervera, Marc; Toma, Daniel Mihai; Martinez Padro, Enoc; Carandell Widmer, Matias; Gomariz Castro, Spartacus; Olive Duran, Joaquim (2020): Acoustic tags receptions during RESBIO project (since november 2019) at the OBSEA cabled underwater observatory.
- Start date
- Acoustic Telemetry
- Biology > Ecology - biodiversity
- Biology > Fish