The Scientific Committee supports the Board of Directors in the formulation of high-quality and scientifically sound advice and is responsible for the image of VLIZ. It is composed of representatives of various disciplines from all Flemish research institutes, reinforced with foreign experts.
In October 2010 the Scientific Committee was restructured into three interconnected and mutually reinforcing components:
The Scientific Board
- a compact steering committee composed of 16 effective and 16 substitute members
- assembles four times a year
- gives high-quality and scientifically sound advice
- reports directly to the Board of Directors
The Guidance Committee
- is open to a wide range of marine scientists
- every year one plenary meeting is held in Ostend
- discusses important new and planned activities
- thematic working groups
- composed of the most relevant experts from Belgium and abroad
- established for a limited or longer period of time
Keep up to date with minutes and documents of the Scientific Committee. To subscribe, send a blank e-mail to email@example.com. To unsubscribe, e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The tasks and operation of the various components of the Scientific Committee can be found in the VLIZ Good Governance Charter and in the policy document reorganisation VLIZ Scientific Committee (dated 28.04.2010 and 23.06.2010) (Dutch only).